Friday, October 10, 2014

Connecting Tracks at Proviso... Turnout Replacement

I've been working on getting the tracks reconnected between the two sections that make up the main Proviso Yard.  Thirteen track need to be reconnected plus one turnout replaced.  So far I have three of the tracks reconnected and today, I've got the turnouts replaced.  I was able to replace the turnout on top of the Tortoise switch machine that stayed in place throughout the move.  I saved the turnout that I removed but was not able to use it so I had to build a new one.  Other than painting and ballasting, its good to go.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Researching East and West of Proviso

  One big additional feature of the new incarnation of the Geneva Sub will be a more complete rendition of the Proviso Yard and trackage east and west of the yard.  West of Proviso are Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, Glen Ellen and Wheaton.  East of the Proviso Yard are Melrose Park, Maywood and River Forest.  While I do not have room to add all these stations to the new layout, I believe I will be able to add two west of the yard and two to the east.  Right now, I am leaning on Maywood and River Forest to the each and Wheaton and Villa Park to the west.
   While back in the Chicago area visiting family, I was able to sneak away for a bit to do some research for the new sections of the layout. Below are some of the pictures I shot.

   Here are some of the Wheaton station and the surrounding area.   The unique station and the curve of the track make this a great candidate to model.

Here are some pics from River Forest.  The elevation of the track with the road underpass would be cool characteristic to model on the layout.

Between Villa Park and River Forest is a bridge crossing the Des Plaines River and a Forest Preserve.  Both, would look great on the layout.

   Finally, here is the small Maywood station which is just down from the Des Plaines River Bridge.  I did not get a chance to make it to Villa Park.  Maybe next time.

Friday, October 3, 2014

Connecting the Pieces Together

I've begun putting the sections of the layout back together in our new basement in Georgia. I've begun with the three sections that make up the Proviso Yard.  These three sections go in the part of the basement that is already finished, so they are a good place to begin.  The basement is a bit wider than the one on Rochelle, so I had to add a couple of short sections to make it fit.  Also, this time the Proviso Yard will be all Proviso and will not also serve as Clinton, IA as on the old set up.  So the Mississippi River bridge will not be in this room.  Instead there are new layout sections depicting Maywood and River Forest as in the prototype mainline.
   Getting the first section up and oriented correctly was the most difficult step.  Once it was up, the other sections went together much more easily.

   Of course, once the sections are together, there's the task of replacing all the track that was cut out between the sections.  Not to mention getting everything wired back up again.


Tuesday, September 30, 2014

You Did What???? Geneva Sub Moves to Georgia!

    Seven months since my last post.  Why so long?  Well, there have been big changes for the UPRR Geneva Subdivision.  On April 27, I was offered a new job in Marietta, GA.  On May 5, I accepted the position and the packing began.
   In addition to packing up everything else, I needed to pack up the Geneva Sub.  When I initially planned and built the Geneva Sub six years ago, I did so with the idea that I would one day move it to a new home upon retirement.  Turns out, the move came sooner than expected.  Anyway, the layout is built in 8 foot sections with terminal strips for wiring at the joints between sections.  So, after packing up the rolling stock, buildings, bridges, trees and details, I set about cutting the layout up into sections.

   The first step in the process of separating the sections was to cut 2-3 inch sections of track out over each of the joints between the sections.  In most cases there were just a few pieces that needed to be cut out.  However, for the joint between the two sections of the Proviso Yard, 13 sections and one turnout needed to be cut out. Once the track sections were cut, I uses a jigsaw to cut the scenery and roadbed at the joints.

   Then the sections were unbolted from each other, unscrewed from the wall, carefully removed and taken to the garage ready for the movers.

   In all there are 11 sections that made it from Illinois to Georgia.

   I was quite happy with the way everything progressed.  My plan to build the layout with the intention of moving it someday, work just as intended.  Its was a lot of work, but it will be definitely worth it as I will be able to have a new railroad in Georgia without starting from scratch.

   The house we moved into July 2 in Georgia has a bit larger basement than the Rochelle house, so I am hoping the resurrected UPRR Geneva Subdivision will be able to have even more operation potential than the original. Stay tuned.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Lots of new videos on YouTube

While I have not made a whole lot of progress on the layout since November other than wheel cleaning, I have posted two new operations video series; one on an autorack train APRGM and the other on a manifest train MCLYC.  Check 'em out.