Friday, July 26, 2019

Track Plan (sort-of)

I have needed a track plan for the Geneva Sub II since the layout was moved from Rochelle to Atlanta.  Here's a start!  The track plan shows how the layout from Rochelle was cut up and re-positioned in out home in ATL.  I still need someone to fill in the rest of the trackage that has been added, including the staging yard.  I can send aerial  photos of the tracks to assist.  Let me know if you are interested.


Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Global 3 Check-In Booth



After getting the pavement extended for Global 3, work has begun on constructing the check-in and check-out structures.  While visiting family in Chicago suburbs, I was able to get away for a morning to head over to Rochelle and click some pictures of the prototype.  I also did some research via truckers YouTube videos on entering and existing intermodal yards.  Satellite photos were also very helpful. Here are a few of the pictures of Global 3 from the ground and from space.



It took a lot of trigonometry and the use of a hip roof calculator, but I was able to get the hip roof calculated and cut out.  I first used card stock to test the fit before cutting out the plastic for the final assembly. I used some left over pieces from a micro engineering engine house kit for the standing seam roof.  The prototype is five lanes wide, but I reduced the size for a four lane unit.

Here are some more photos.




Saturday, July 6, 2019

Weekly Video Posts on Youtube

Last Sunday, June 30, 2019, the Geneva Sub began a weekly video series on continuing construction and operations on the UPRR Geneva Subdivision.  Below is a link to last Sunday's post.  This Sunday's video will premiere 10:30 am EST.

 




Monday, June 10, 2019

Retirement = Increased Modelling Production

After 40 years in education, I have officially retired.  Among other life changes, this will give me more time to devote to the UPRR Geneva Subdivision.  I have a ton of projects lined up that I will document the best I can.  I will document on this blog and also via my YouTube channel.  The goal will be to post weekly updates on layout progress.  Breaks in the weekly postings should only be interrupted by travel.

First project is modifying two Fox Valley Models GP60 in SP/SSW paint to patched Union Pacific units.  These two unit will serve as Global III switchers.

Here are the models after adding Micro-scale decals.  Up next will be weathering.  These units were built in the early 90s and were still in operation in 2016.  So, a lot of wear.




Before I started, I did some research on the models and came up with a number of photos from which to work.





Monday, October 29, 2018

Weathering Frenzy

   I've been on a weathering frenzy for the past few months.  In all, I have weathered 14 locomotives, 63 general freight cars, and 56 crude oil tank cars.  That's a lot of wreathing.  How did I get into a situation where I had so much non weathered rolling stock?  Well, it all started about 6 years ago when to weather by rolling stock with an airbrush.  I never really had any luck with acrylics and found the enamel paint much easier to work with.  When the Floquil line was discontinued, my weathering discontinued as well.  Although my weathering had stopped, purchases of new rolling stock continued. So, I ended up with a large number of non weathered rolling stock.

   With larger and larger amounts of rolling stock non weathered, the look of the layout suffered.  So, I finally broke down, purchased some Model Master acrylic paints and began experimenting with wreathing techniques.  Back when I painted the track on the layout, I purchase a new compressor and airbrush.  My old compressor was small and cheap when I got it 20+ years ago and was not putting out air like it used to.  The new compressor really made a big difference as I quickly found out that my issues with acrylic paint was due mainly to a lack of sufficient air flow.  After a few practice tries on some old throw away cars, I felt confident enough to get started on the real thing.

   Below are some videos I shot showing my weathering techniques.  I did all the weathering in batches.  With such a large fleet and a large layout, it is important that these types of task be streamlined to get a good overall look without taking up an enormous amount of time.  Maybe someday, when I am retired, I will go back and get more detailed in the weathering.  But for now, I got a railroad to build!

  I still have a few coal cars and intermodal cars to weather, but very soon I will be moving back to layout construction.  There are a lot of areas needing streets, buildings, trees, details, etc. Look for a survey coming soon on which area of the layout to work on next.




Saturday, June 2, 2018

Improvements to Lone "Turn-back Curve" on the Geneva Sub

   Turn back curves are locations on layouts where the track makes a complete 180 degree turn in direction.  Although almost all layouts have them, they are quite up prototypical in appearance.  When the layout was back in Rochelle, IL there were zero turn-back curves on the layout.  Here in Georgia, our basement has a narrow, 9' X 22' section where a turn-back curve is unavoidable.  So, the challenge is to disguise it a bit by breaking the curve into two sections with a scenery block.  I chose to use a small area of woods that are common in northern Illinois.  The trees do a great job of breaking up the curve and makes the scene a bit more prototypical looking.



Roads for Elmhurst, IL Metra Station Area

Roads have been added to the area around the Elmhurst Metra Station.  Woodland Scenics paving plaster was used for the road surfaces.  Styrene was used for sidewalks and Line O Tape 1/32" pin-striping was used for road lines. A backdrop has also bee added to the area.  Road signs, street lights  and people will be added next. Lots of work and detailing still also needs to be done on the buildings. Stay tuned!