Monday, November 20, 2017

Elmhurst Passenger Station

Just completed assembly of the Kato passenger station kit for use as the Elmhurst Metra station.  The kit's prototype is the Schaumberg Metra station, which is larger than the Elmhurst station.  However, I felt it was a good match for use in Elmhurst.  The kit was a bit expensive, but it is a high quality kit and produces a very nice structure which work nicely as a Metra Station. I especially like the brickwork with mortar.  As you can see from the photo, I did not plan real well so the kit extends off the layout.  I will build a short "bump out" to support the kit. I also plan to add narrower 3/4" platforms extending in both directions about 12".


Sunday, November 5, 2017

More Water Works on the Geneva Sub

Did some more work on two bridges.  I was not happy with the color of the Des Plaines River.  It was two black and did not match the color from prototype pictures and did not match the picture I am using for the back drop. So, I repainted it a green/brown color and then added another layer of EnviroTex.  I have also added more lighting for the Maywood/Proviso area, so the pictures are of better quality than last time.



For the Fox River, I painted the river a very dark green with brown highlights.  This color matches the prototype photo I am using for the backdrop.





Monday, October 16, 2017

Progress on the Des Plaines River Bridge

I was able to paint the river bottom and apply an EnviroTex clear coat on the Des Plaines River over the weekend. I still need to re paint the fascia and tone down the graffiti a bit.  The graffiti looks like it was all painted list night.  Busy taggers!  They definitely need some weathering.



Saturday, September 23, 2017

Recent Pictures

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures.  Will post more tomorrow.



Saturday, January 7, 2017

Trees Hiding Holes in the Walls

   I am finally getting trees onto the layout.  I purchased some new trees and am also using the trees salvaged from the Rochelle layout.  Below is a video and some before and after pictures.  Came out pretty well I think.



Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Des Plaines River Crossing III

   Plaster forms have been added to the Des Plaines River crossing. Below are pics of the plaster cloth installed on screen wire.  One additional benefit that I have found of using plaster cloth is it is much easier to install trees.  The dried plaster is much thinner and most trees can just be pushed into place.  The blue masking tape is for protection of the track while painting the plaster.





   This last picture shows the low tech method of protecting the signals before painting the plaster.


   Here's the scene painting and applying ground foam.  The bridge still need a lot of work such as painting, weathering, walkways and lots of graffiti on the piers. Of course, the area will also need trees and ballast on the track.