Work is progressing nicely in Rochelle. Below is an update video and a
google maps view of the prototype. In order for it to fit in the layout
space available I rotated the crossing and tracks about 60 degrees
Quite a bit of progress has been made at the Global II intermodal yard. Work has continued at the Global III entrance/exit area and even more work has been completed on the Global II engine maintenance facilities.
First a look at the engine facilities. Concrete surfaces have been added using styrene sheets. Also, added are Synder fueling cranes, a sanding tower and additional details.
For the Global III entrance/exit area, a second set of video shed and truck booth has been constructed and both sets have been painted. In the picture below, the foreground set is for trucks entering the yard while the background set if for trucks leaving the yard.
This view is from the other direction. The foreground set is for departing trucks while the background is for arriving trucks. The exit driveway is off camera lower left.
I have needed a track plan for the Geneva Sub II since the layout was moved from Rochelle to Atlanta. Here's a start! The track plan shows how the layout from Rochelle was cut up and re-positioned in out home in ATL. I still need someone to fill in the rest of the trackage that has been added, including the staging yard. I can send aerial photos of the tracks to assist. Let me know if you are interested.
After getting the pavement extended for Global 3, work has begun on constructing the check-in and check-out structures. While visiting family in Chicago suburbs, I was able to get away for a morning to head over to Rochelle and click some pictures of the prototype. I also did some research via truckers YouTube videos on entering and existing intermodal yards. Satellite photos were also very helpful. Here are a few of the pictures of Global 3 from the ground and from space.
It took a lot of trigonometry and the use of a hip roof calculator, but I was able to get the hip roof calculated and cut out. I first used card stock to test the fit before cutting out the plastic for the final assembly. I used some left over pieces from a micro engineering engine house kit for the standing seam roof. The prototype is five lanes wide, but I reduced the size for a four lane unit.
Last Sunday, June 30, 2019, the Geneva Sub began a weekly video series on continuing construction and operations on the UPRR Geneva Subdivision. Below is a link to last Sunday's post. This Sunday's video will premiere 10:30 am EST.
After 40 years in education, I have officially retired. Among other life changes, this will give me more time to devote to the UPRR Geneva Subdivision. I have a ton of projects lined up that I will document the best I can. I will document on this blog and also via my YouTube channel. The goal will be to post weekly updates on layout progress. Breaks in the weekly postings should only be interrupted by travel.
First project is modifying two Fox Valley Models GP60 in SP/SSW paint to patched Union Pacific units. These two unit will serve as Global III switchers.
Here are the models after adding Micro-scale decals. Up next will be weathering. These units were built in the early 90s and were still in operation in 2016. So, a lot of wear.
Before I started, I did some research on the models and came up with a number of photos from which to work.