Monday, September 20, 2010

SMD Signal Installation

   I was able to install the SMD signals I received last week.  Before I was able to install them I first needed to complete the basic scenery and paint the track in the eastern Rochelle Area.  This went pretty well, however, the close up picture of the signals makes me realize that I really need to get going on doing some static grass.  All in good time.
   As far as the installation of the signals goes, it was very straight forward.  The signals came with 100 ohm resistors attached and I connected them to the SE8c signal board via Digitrax's TMSK connector board which also have 100 Ohm resistors.  So, with 200 ohms of resistance, the signals are not quite as bright as the Sunrise signals.  I'm still deciding on whether or not to remove the 100 ohm resistors that come with the signals. I was leaning toward taking them off to see if that would brighten them up a bit.  But then I got to thinking that on a nomal afternoon, the prototype signals are not that bright either, especially if you are not looking right at the signals from the track.  The SMD lights are brighter looking stright from the track as opposed to from an angle.  I am not sure if this would change with the removal of the resistors.  I was only able to install two of the four signals as I ran out of ribbon wire that is used to connect the signals.  I will hopefully get more by this weekend.  Overall, I am very pleased with the SMD signals.  They look and operate great.  I highly recommend them.  I have placed an order for six more.  Check them out @ http://scalemodelsdivision.web.officelive.com/default.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment