Wednesday, March 17, 2010

FVM GEVOs Arrive on the Geneva Subdivision

   Recieved my two UP GEVOs from Wig Wag today.  Took their sweet time sending them out but that's another story.  Anyway, the GEVOs are stunning.  Extremely well executed with lots of fine details throughout.  They were a little tight when I first tried to run them, but loosen up quickly and are very smooth running.  Better than Atlas and almost on par with Kato.  I suspect that with more break in, they will equal if not surpass Kato.
   I am disappointed with the very dim ditch lights. To be honest, the dimness is enough to be a deal breaker for me.  To me it doesn't look like a modern locomotive unless you have the three lights leading the way.  May not be that big of a deal for others.  I'm hoping that I can find a way to easily correct the problem.  At first glance it looks light the LED is not quite lined up with the optical plastic that leads from the LED to the ditch lights.  The plastic that goes to the headlight is a separate peice from the one that leads to the ditchlights.  The headlight looks fine, but the ditches are not getting enough light.  Next week is spring break so I should have some time to give it further attention.  I really hope that something can be figured out becasue other than the ditch lights, the model is fantastic. 

7 comments:

  1. They do look sweet. Kep us posted with the ditch light issue--that is definitely a deal breaker for me also. I had a similar dissatisfaction with the Kato SD70ACe and their orange lights due to Kato's wierd choice of amber plastic for the light pipes on these models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, the Kato lights have a very wierd color and my two make a lot of noise. Noise is not really an issue with me, but on one of the units the noise gets really annoying if the front truck is not set just right. I have to push down on the unit to get the annoying sound to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ordered some white 3mm LEDs. I'm thinking of doing away with the rear LED and placing two white LEDs in front, one aimed at the headlight light pipe and one aimed at the ditch lights light pipe. Might even allow me to turn them on seperately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GEVOs are a great looking addition to the fleet The factory applied details like the cut levers make a big difference to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are they Dcc or Dc? I was thinking about purchasing a unpainted one for my layout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for the CSX ones, I'm deciding whether to get a FVM and Kato or Both FVMs. If the Kato doesn’t come out on time then FVM it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine are DCC via a Digitrax NZ125IN. Installation of the docoder was a snap. I improved the ditch lights brightness to an acceptable level. Will post pictures later today if possible.

    ReplyDelete