Sunday, February 5, 2012

Warehouse Parking Lot

   Styrene or Smooth-it? I went back and forth on what material to use for the warehouse parking lot in Proviso.  I really like the results of the lots and roads I have done so far with Smooth-it from Woodland Scenics.  But with the parking lot needing to go right up to the backdrop, I did not think it was really workable.  I also did not feel like dealing with the messiness of plaster more than a foot from the edge of the layout.  So, styrene it is!  I used 7"X12" .040 styrene sheets from Plastruct for the project.
   The first thing I did was layout the sheets so that I could mark them for cutting.

   Once cut, I glued the sheets down with liquid nails.  Once the sheets were glued down, I noticed that the OWD Logistics warehouse was very close to the yard tracks.  In fact, the warehouse was too close.


At first, I was going to let it go and maybe change it later.  But then I realized that it was going to bother me every time a locomotive used the track; which would be often as the track is used by consists moving to and from the locomotive facilities and the head end of eastbound trains.    To resolve the issue, I used a scissors to  cut the warehouse and make it 3/4" narrower at the parking lot end.  I also cut back the parking  lot to match.  The result is a big improvement.  


With the parking lot down, next up will be painting.




1 comment:

  1. Styrene or Smooth-it? I went back and forth on what material to use for the warehouse parking lot in Proviso. survival warehouse florida

    ReplyDelete