With larger and larger amounts of rolling stock non weathered, the look of the layout suffered. So, I finally broke down, purchased some Model Master acrylic paints and began experimenting with wreathing techniques. Back when I painted the track on the layout, I purchase a new compressor and airbrush. My old compressor was small and cheap when I got it 20+ years ago and was not putting out air like it used to. The new compressor really made a big difference as I quickly found out that my issues with acrylic paint was due mainly to a lack of sufficient air flow. After a few practice tries on some old throw away cars, I felt confident enough to get started on the real thing.
Below are some videos I shot showing my weathering techniques. I did all the weathering in batches. With such a large fleet and a large layout, it is important that these types of task be streamlined to get a good overall look without taking up an enormous amount of time. Maybe someday, when I am retired, I will go back and get more detailed in the weathering. But for now, I got a railroad to build!
I still have a few coal cars and intermodal cars to weather, but very soon I will be moving back to layout construction. There are a lot of areas needing streets, buildings, trees, details, etc. Look for a survey coming soon on which area of the layout to work on next.